Position / Title: Dietary Cook
The Dietary Cook seeks to enhance the quality of life of our residents by providing high quality food to residents, visitors, and employees in accordance with current applicable federal, state, and local standards, guidelines, and established policies and procedures.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Preparation and delivery of high quality food.
- Prepare and serve meals that are palatable and appetizing in appearance.
- Prepare all menu items using established departmental policies and procedures.
- Assure menu items are prepared in sufficient quantities to satisfy volumes.
- Assist with the training of new employees.
- Assure all food and departmental supplies are ordered and received in a timely manner to maintain adequate inventory levels.Serve menu items and prepare for daily operations.
- Assure presentation of all meals according to established departmental policies and procedures.
- Provide service to residents, visitors and staff in a friendly and efficient manner.
- Serve meals on a timely basis.
- Serve food in proper pre-determined portion sizes.
- Serves food that is the correct serving temperature and quality.
- Assist in checking diet trays before distribution.
- Bring any sub-standard quality food to the attention of the Director of Culinary Services and properly discard.
- Prepare and deliver snacks.
- Receive food deliveries as assigned.Maintain work area in sanitary condition.
- Assist in daily or scheduled cleaning duties in accordance with established policies and procedures.
- Clean work surfaces, meat blocks, refrigerators and freezers.
- Assist with floor maintenance for the kitchen and dining room. Sweep and mop floors as directed.
- Wash, dry and store utensils, dishes, trays and supplies.
- Clean and maintain all kitchen equipment in accordance with established policies and procedures.
- Assist in maintaining food storage areas in a clean and properly arranged manner at all times.
- Dispose of food and waste in accordance with established policies.
- Maintain the care and use of supplies and equipment.
- Maintain the appearance of the dietary services area.
- Perform regular inspections of the dietary services area for sanitation, order, safety and proper performance of assigned duties.
- Must be able to read, write, speak, and understand the English language.
- Must possess the ability to deal tactfully with personnel, residents, and family members.
- Must be able to follow oral and written instructions.
- Must be able to use the tools and equipment required in a safe and efficient manner.
- Must have knowledge of elementary math.
- Must be able to prepare palatable foods that are appetizing in appearance.
- Must have knowledge of methods and procedures for serving food, principles of sanitation, and principles of safe food handling.
PHYSICAL AND MENTAL DEMANDS:
- Must be able to push, pull, move and/or lift a minimum of 30 pounds to a height of 2.5 feet and able to push, pull, move and/or carry such weight a minimum distance of 50 feet.
- Must be able to stand, bend, lift and move intermittently throughout the workday in the dietary services area and throughout the facility.
- Must be able to work outside of normal work hours including nights, holidays, and weekends as needed to meet facility and position demands.
- Must be free of diseases that may be transmitted in the performance of job responsibilities during the stage of communicability.
- Must be able to relate to and work with ill, disabled, elderly, emotionally upset and at times hostile people within the facility.