Position / Title: Activities Assistant
The Activities Assistant reports to the Director of Activities and is responsible for assisting in the planning, implementation, and evaluation of an on-going program of activities designed to meet the interests and the physical, mental and psychological well-being of each resident in accordance with the comprehensive assessment.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Assist with planning, implementation and evaluation of all activities programs.
- Prepare activity area for scheduled functions. Move/arrange equipment and supplies.
- Clean up activity areas after completing activity functions.
- Create decorations, set up necessary equipment and create crafts.
- Assist in scheduling movies, planning parties, and providing games/activities for residents.
- Order and maintain adequate levels of materials to implement activity programs.
- Escort residents to and from activities areas.
- Transport residents to activity functions held offsite using the facility van.
- Make routine one-on-one visits to residents not able to participate in activity programs.
- Assist in developing and implementing care plans and resident assessments.
- Observe resident attendance, mood, behavior, and degree of involvement. Ensure that resident attendance and participation in Activities programs are documented with reference to their response to the program noting both active and passive participation.
- Ensure all charted activity notes are informative and descriptive of the services provided.
- Interview residents or family members to obtain activity information.
- Supervise and schedule volunteers, as directed.
Perform duties in a safe manner and comply with established policies and procedures.
- Perform all duties in compliance with established safety and infection control policies and procedures.
- Actively participate in fire, safety and disaster preparedness drills.
- Maintain safe working conditions and practices and follow established safety regulations in the use of equipment and supplies.
- Be constantly alert for the safety of residents.
DEGREE OF SUPERVISION:
The Activities Assistant reports to and receives supervision from the Director of Activities.
- Must possess, as a minimum, a high school diploma or equivalent.
- Must possess the ability to deal tactfully with personnel, residents, and family members.
- Must be able to read, write, speak, and understand the English language.
- Must be able to follow oral and written instructions.
PHYSICAL AND MENTAL DEMANDS:
- Must be able to push, pull, move and/or lift a minimum of 50 pounds
- Must be able to stand, bend, lift and move intermittently throughout the work day throughout the facility.
- Must be able to work outside of normal work hours including nights, holidays, and weekends as needed to meet facility and position demands.
- Must be free of diseases that may be transmitted in the performance of job responsibilities during the stage of communicability.
- Must be able to relate to and work with ill, disabled, elderly, emotionally upset and at times hostile people within the facility.
Works in activities area as well as throughout the facility. Works beyond normal duty hours, on weekends and holidays as needed to meet the demands of the facility and the position. Interacts with residents, family members, and staff under all conditions and circumstances. Must be constantly alert for resident safety. Is subject to lifting, transporting, and assisting residents. May be exposed to infectious waste, diseases, and conditions including but not limited to exposure to hepatitis B viruses.