Position / Title: Housekeeping Supervisor
The Housekeeping Supervisor reports to the Director of Maintenance or Chief Administrative Officer and is responsible for compliance with current applicable federal, state, and local standards, guidelines, and established policies and procedures to enhance the quality of life of our residents by maintaining a clean, safe, sanitary and comfortable environment.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Supervision of Housekeeping Staff in fulfillment of department programs and activities within budget, with high quality and on schedule.
- Supervise housekeeping staff with direct responsibilities for interviewing, selection, training, motivating, wage and salary recommendations, and performance appraisals.
- Review housekeeping department punch detail reports on a daily basis. Promptly research and submit missed punch forms, PTO requests, etc. as needed to correct daily punches. Sign all punch detail reports, missed punch forms, and PTO requests to authorize payment.
- Enhance company posture on EEO/ADA by making a good faith effort to recruit, select, develop, and retain protected class employees.
- Assure all housekeeping staff attends required training in hazardous communications and safety.
- Determine appropriate staffing levels and approve PTO requests for all direct reports.
- Orient and train staff in proper work practices upon hire.
- Conduct and evaluate retraining and refresher training for all housekeeping staff, as needed.
- Maintain the care and use of supplies, equipment, and the appearance of the housekeeping area.
- Requisition all housekeeping supplies and equipment and ensure adequate inventory levels to maintain a clean, safe, sanitary and comfortable environment.
- Develop and implement Action Plans to meet the goals of the Housekeeping Department.
- Monitor department staff to ensure they are following established safety and infection control policies and procedures.
- Monitor housekeeping staff’s adherence to Employee Handbook policies and procedures. Provide appropriate counseling and discipline as needed.
- Ensure department staff actively participates in fire, safety and disaster preparedness drills.
- Maintain safe working conditions and practices throughout the department, and ensure that department staff follows established safety regulations in the use of equipment and supplies.
- Communicate with other department supervisors to adequately plan for Housekeeping services.
- Coordinate and monitor resident moves. Perform terminal cleaning procedures of resident rooms and prepare rooms for a new occupant.
- Respond to oral and written feedback and requests from residents regarding housekeeping services and respond promptly and according to policy.
- Maintain a written record of resident’s complaints and/or grievances that indicate the action taken to resolve the complaint and the current status of the complaint.
- Assist in preparing an annual operating budget for approval by the Chief Administrative Officer and allocate department resources to carry out department objectives within established budget.
- Assist in preparing and planning the Housekeeping Department’s budget for equipment, supplies and labor.
- Review and interpret monthly department financial statements and take appropriate corrective action in response to variances and trends in order to conform to the approved budget.
- Maintain current written records of department expenditures and assure that adequate financial records and cost reports are submitted as necessary.
Perform a variety of general Housekeeping tasks to maintain a clean, safe, sanitary and comfortable environment.
- Dust furniture, woodwork, equipment and dust mop floors.
- Polish and clean fixtures in rooms and bathrooms.
- Wet mop rooms, halls, etc.
- Clean vents, fan fixtures, top of windows, doorframes and other high areas.
- Gather and dispose of trash and waste materials using specified bags and/or containers.
- Buff, strip, wax and polish floors.
- Move furniture and other heavy objects as required.
- Perform terminal cleaning procedures of resident rooms and prepare room for new occupant; follow isolation procedures in isolation rooms.
- Clean and disinfect all fixtures, floors, mirrors, windows, doors and walls.
- Must possess, as a minimum, a high school diploma or equivalent.
- Minimum of 2 years previous supervisory experience, preferred.
- Minimum of 2 years previous related Housekeeping experience.
- Must possess the ability to deal tactfully with personnel, residents, and family members.
- Must be knowledgeable of Housekeeping practices and procedures as well as laws, regulations, and guidelines governing Housekeeping functions in a long-term care facility.
- Must be able to use the tools and equipment required in a safe and efficient manner.
PHYSICAL AND MENTAL DEMANDS:
- Must be able to push, pull, move and/or lift a minimum of 30 pounds to a height of 2.5 feet and able to push, pull, move and/or carry such weight a minimum distance of 50 feet.
- Must be able to stand, bend, lift and move intermittently throughout the workday throughout the facility.
- Must be able to work outside of normal work hours including nights, holidays, and weekends as needed to meet facility and position demands.
- Must be free of diseases that may be transmitted in the performance of job responsibilities during the stage of communicability.
- Must be able to relate to and work with ill, disabled, elderly, emotionally upset and at times hostile people within the facility.
Works in office areas as well as throughout the facility. Works beyond normal duty hours, on weekends and holidays when necessary. Interacts with residents, family members, and staff under all conditions and circumstances. May be exposed to infectious waste, diseases, and conditions including but not limited to exposure to hepatitis B viruses.