Position / Title: Maintenance Assistant
The Maintenance Assistant reports to and receives supervision from the Director of Maintenance and is responsible for repairing and maintaining the facility, grounds, and equipment in a safe, clean and orderly manner.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Perform routine repairs and preventative maintenance for building, grounds and equipment.
- Maintain and repair building as needed. Such as repairing windows and doors; painting; carpentry work.
- Maintain and repair building systems including, but not limited to electric wiring and controls, heating, ventilation and plumbing. Such as installing and repairing plumbing and electrical fixtures; opening clogged drains.
- Assist with seasonal projects such as roof maintenance and repair, parking lot repair, and HVAC maintenance.
- Responsible for snow and ice removal, application of salt and ice melt to sidewalks, and parking areas.
- Grounds maintenance to include cutting grass, trimming, raking and mulching.
- Maintenance and repair of security and alarm systems.
- Perform preventative maintenance functions such as filter replacements, changes oil, filters, replacement of hoses, batteries, bulbs, and fuses in accordance with established preventative maintenance schedules.
- Accurately account and safety store maintenance equipment and tools.
- Provide immediate response to emergency situations (e.g. no heat, frozen water lines, building vandalism, etc.)
- Conduct periodic building condition assessments, including documentation to identify safety concerns, and repair needs.
- Respond to oral and written feedback from residents on building, grounds, and equipment issues and concerns as appropriate.
- Document maintenance activities through preparation of reports, work orders, maintenance schedules and incidental record keeping in accordance with departmental policies.
- Repair damaged flooring and base boards as needed. Assist with floor maintenance such as carpet cleaning, stripping and waxing hallways, resident rooms, and common areas.
- Assist with other environmental services duties (such as housekeeping and laundry functions) as needed.
- Assist in covering on-call duties beyond normal hours, on weekends and holidays to respond to facility emergencies. Assist with safety, fire, and disaster preparedness programs, and OSHA compliance.
- Conduct routine checks of fire alarms and security systems.
- Assist with coordination and documentation of fire, safety, and disaster preparedness drills.
- Maintain SDS sheets.
- Assist with the Orientation program for all employees must include a minimum of the following: fire drill procedures, disaster procedures, alarm panel review, emergency water supply, OSHA regulations, tour of facility including shut-off valves, evacuation routes, etc.Perform duties in a safe manner and comply with established policies and procedures.
- Perform all duties in compliance with established safety and infection control policies and procedures.
Maintain safe working conditions and practices and follow established safety regulations in the use of equipment and supplies.DEGREE OF SUPERVISION:
- The Maintenance Assistant reports to and receives supervision from the Director of Maintenance.
- Must possess, as a minimum, a high school diploma or equivalent.
- Minimum of 1 – 3 years previous experience in a similar role.
- Demonstrated knowledge of the operations and maintenance of facilities and grounds including carpentry, electrical, mechanical, water and septic, security and alarm systems, HVAC systems, grounds maintenance and code requirements.
- Demonstrated mechanical, electrical and repair abilities.
- Ability to operate various maintenance equipment and tools.
- Must be able to read instructions and manuals for equipment and tools.
- Must be able to communicate positively with residents, coworkers, families, and vendors.
PHYSICAL AND MENTAL DEMANDS:
- Must be able to push, pull, move and/or lift a minimum of 50 pounds, perform moderately strenuous tasks and to climb ladders.
- Must be able to stand, bend, lift and move intermittently throughout the work day in the throughout the facility.
- Must be able to work outside of normal work hours including nights, holidays, and weekends as needed to meet facility and position demands.
- Must be free of diseases that may be transmitted in the performance of job responsibilities during the stage of communicability.
Works throughout the facility both indoors and outside in all types of weather conditions. Works beyond normal duty hours, on weekends and holidays when necessary. Must be available to assist with on-call duties to respond to facility emergencies. Is subject to falls, burns from equipment, odors, etc. throughout the work day. May be exposed to dust, fumes, allergens and air contaminants. Interacts with residents, family members, and staff under all conditions and circumstances. May be exposed to infectious waste, diseases, and conditions including but not limited to exposure to hepatitis B viruses.