Position: Activities Director
Reports to: Administrator
Responsible for planning and organizing individual and group activities to meet the social, emotional, intellectual, and spiritual needs of tenants. Communicates available programs to tenants and encourages participation.
- Adheres to and conveys a philosophy that supports the dignity, privacy, independence, choice, and individuality of tenants.
- Conducts an assessment with each tenant to determine those activities in which the tenant would be most interested in pursuing and/or participating.
- Summarizes information obtained from each tenant’s activity and interest profile to determine which activities are of interest to the greatest number of tenants. Plans and organizes programs, events and activities around tenants’ interests.
- Participates in the tenant service planning process to provide input as to each tenant’s involvement in his/her areas of interest.
- Develops and maintains a volunteer program.
- Leads and/or oversees individual and group activities on a daily basis, encouraging tenant participation.
- Documents tenant participation in group and/or individual social / recreational programs.
- Develops and distributes monthly activity schedules to tenants and posted for easy reference by tenants.
- Develops and distributes a newsletter on a regular basis for tenants, family members and selected referral sources.
- Acknowledges tenant birthdays, anniversaries, and special accomplishments by planning a special event and/or giving the tenant a card, note, or small gift.
- Orders needed supplies (e.g., art and craft supplies, party supplies, etc.). Oversees the activity budget to ensure that costs are maintained within budgetary guidelines.
- Maintains the activity storage area in a neat, clean manner.
- Picks up supplies after each activity and returns furniture to its original position.
- Provides instructions and supplies for other employees, tenants or volunteers to assist with group or individual activities.
- Takes pictures of Community events, parties and other special occasions.
- Maintains and updates information pertinent to the social / activity program, including community resources, entertainment, guest speakers, volunteers, and tenant and staff birthdays/anniversaries.
- Makes arrangements for local groups or organizations to hold meetings, performances, and/or special events at the Community.
- Organizes outings into the local community to locations of interest to tenants; ensures that sufficient staff and/or volunteers participate in the outings; makes arrangements for the provision of needed tenant services during the time of the outing.
- Maintains a sign-up schedule for regular transportation to doctor appointments, bank(s) and shopping and assists tenants in making other transportation arrangements as needed.
- Drives tenants in the Community van to outings, doctor appointments, etc. as needed/requested.
- Plans special “theme” days or months around holidays, seasons, or recognized days such as Father’s or Mother’s Day.
- Pairs interested staff members with tenants based on common interests to facilitate the implementation of tenant interests.
- Provides assistance in providing tenant services (e.g., assistance with personal care, meal service, etc.) as needed/requested.
- Reports any abuse, suspected abuse or alleged abuse to the appropriate agency(s).
- Performs all other duties as assigned.
- Enjoys working with the elderly; relates well to seniors.
- Able to lead and motivate people; excellent interpersonal skills.
- Good planning and organizational skills.
- Able to communicate well, both orally and in writing.
- Self-starter; able to carry out diverse duties with minimal supervision.
- Enjoys thinking of new ideas; is creative and resourceful.
- Good computer skills (i.e. MS Word, Printshop, etc.).
- Professional appearance and attitude.
- Holds a valid driver’s license of the appropriate type and a driving record which meets the Community insurance standards.
All general staffing requirements:
- Free of communicable disease
- Able to physically/mentally perform tasks, as verified by a health screening that includes TB clearance
- Criminal record clearance
- Current First-Aid certification
- Ability to read, write and understand English
- General understanding of the needs of the elderly
- Willingness to learn
Please e-mail your resume to Charlie.Davis@kissito.org to apply!